We are the First Church of Christ, Scientist, of Moline, Illinois. All Christian Science churches and societies, including this one, are branches of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, also known as The Mother Church, located in Boston, Massachusetts. The services and activities of this world-wide church organization are designed to inspire, to encourage, and to explain the practical Science of Christ that heals. The heart of Christian Science is Love. It is about feeling and understanding God’s goodness. We firmly believe in these synonyms for God: Life, Truth, Love, Spirit, Soul, Mind, Principle. The members of this branch church are dedicated to this healing mission: the practical science of Christ.
At our services you will hear selections read from two books, the Holy Bible, and Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy’s book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. Together, these books are the pastor of this world-wide church organization. We find our pastor to be an infallible guide as we seek to uplift, encourage and heal in the spirit of our dear master, Christ Jesus.
Tenets of Christian Science:
- As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
- We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
- We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
- We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
- We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
- And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.From https://www.christianscience.com/what-is-christian-science/beliefs-and-teachings
The same Lesson Sermon you will hear on Sunday is being read in many languages by readers in every Christian Science church and society around the globe. But, regardless of the language or the place, the spiritual message of the Christian Science pastor is the same: that God loves and cares for every one of us, and that an understanding of this love brings healing to our lives.
You are also welcome at our Sunday Services which includes an uplifting and healing sermon read from our pastor, The Bible and Science and Health. The location and service times for our services are posted on this web site.
Children and young people up to the age of 20 are lovingly welcomed in our Sunday School which convenes at the same time as our Sunday service. Here, the students are taught the Bible lessons so important to a good foundation for spiritual growth. We ask that you consider young people in this community who you might invite to share in this blessing.
We also conduct a less formal, weekly Wednesday evening testimony meeting where you have the opportunity to share gratitude and thanksgiving, to hear a special Bible lesson and to share in the joy of singing. After short readings from our pastor, members of the congregation are invited to share testimonies of spiritual healing and inspiration gained from their study and practice of Christian Science.
Annual Thanksgiving Day Service.
Please join us every Thanksgiving Day at 10:30 AM to give thanks for all of our blessings and to worship our Lord on this special holiday.
Christian Science Reading Room.
Throughout the week, our Christian Science Reading Room, our book store, is open to the public. In this quiet refuge, you are invited to enhance your spiritual journey with prayer and study of the Bible, Mrs. Eddy’s works, periodicals, and other resources including audio selections and computer applications. Our Pastor are these two books: The King James Version of The Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. Other versions of the Holy Bible are also available. Most of these items are also for sale and a staff member is present to assist you. In this peaceful atmosphere you will find a treasure of resources available for study, Bible study, or purchase. The location and hours are posted at this web site.
The writer of an article in a 1916 edition of the Christian Science Sentinel speaks of how Mary Baker Eddy longed for the day to come when it would be impossible for anyone who was suffering, to enter a Christian Science church without being healed. She felt that this day can come only when every member of the church studies and demonstrates the truth contained in the Lesson Sermon and takes with him to the service the consciousness thus prepared (CS Sentinel, July 1, 1916, pp. 866-7).
Learn the practicality of better understanding God, Christ Jesus, goodness, life, sacrament, salvation, and more. Anyone can find God to be “a very present help in trouble” (Ps. 46:1). We strive for that end and enjoy the process. We hope you will join in our journey for spiritual wisdom, understanding and healing.
For a 1-hour talk on Christian Science by Mary Alice Rose, Christian Science Board of Lectureship, entitled the Science of Christianity, click here.
Read an article in the Moline Dispatch and Rock Island Argus on-line from June 2018 on Christian Science and how the two branch churches in the Quad Cities sponsored two community talks. Click on this link Two Church of Christ, Scientist Talks to view the article.
Download a brochure entitled “What is the Christian Science Mother Church?” What is CS Mother Church brochure 20180602